Tuesday, November 6, 2012

It's November 6!

This is going to be a boring one, but as many of you know - I'm a political little librarian, and so you can't imagine that I wouldn't say something. I know I'm not supposed to put stuff like this up here, but it's important to me, and I'm hoping that elections are important to you, too. I'm heading off to vote after I finish this tasty omelet of mine.There are a million reasons to stay home an abstain and complain about everyone, which is fine, but whether you feel it's your civic duty, or you see real change, or the sticker is going to get you laid and cheap beer tonight - vote.

People throw around all these ideas about the founders and God, and their intention for large or small government, and a lot of it is absolutely convenient speculation based on the outcome you would like (sorry Scalia, I know your game). But one thing the Founders actually did was make sure that the people (well, at that time people = land-owning white men, but just go with me) could have a bloodless revolution every four years. It was their gift to every generation to come. Today is the day that we acknowledge and honor that gift.

So if that's not enough for you (and you were curious about my political beliefs), here's why I'm voting today:

1. The Economy: Romney's loves his tagline "the government doesn't create jobs." That is a dandy platform if you're running for CEO, but it's a cop out when you're running for President. I believe in a mix of capital injections, public works projects, and quantitative easing. I believe that an increase in social services to low-income folks which allows them access to job training and education is necessary to make sure that inequity begins to close, not expand. I believe trickle-down is pure fiction, and I believe if you look at the growing inequality and the implementation of trickle-down theory, there is a very clear correlation. I don't believe that we should raise the ceiling on profit potential with more opportunities for businesses, I believe we need to raise the floor with opportunities for people, including the un and underemployed, low-skilled jobs which have sunset clauses built in, and middle and low income communities. Which brings me to...

2. Education: I have always believed (much like Aaron Sorkin and Sam Seaborn) that education is the silver bullet. Investment in education at all levels of income is the only way to make sure we remain a strong economy. The shift to public education financing coming primarily for property taxes had dire structural impacts. Charter schools which use money from public funds, reduction in PELL grants, and additional pushes towards privatization mean increasing inequality, and a divestment from future competitiveness internationally. Education - genuine educational opportunities - means not only a practical guarantee that we will remain on par with education levels in other countries (we spend way less per child than most places), but it also means reductions in crime, structural inequality, and science and technology advancements (including medical care, which should really resonate with an aging Baby Boomer population who will face increasing risks for cancer). Among other things.

3. I don't have health insurance.

4. Reproductive Rights: This one should be pretty obvious. And this one should be enough to get you all to vote. Reproductive rights are not a women's issue. The right of every couple/family/individual to have access to basic family planning and medical care is not just a women's issue. The inability to access safe care, correct medical information, and to do it all without shame or stigma is just a serious issue.

5. The Supreme Court: Two nominations are likely coming in the next four years. And Scalia's relatively young and no one should ever hire Clearance Thomas, so they're both staying put. Which means that the next two put on the bench could mean a turning point. The next twenty years are going to be about privacy- the delineation between the corporate and the citizen, the line between the personal and the public. If you're reading this blog, that should resonate with you. They're not deciding on guns or voting rights anymore, they're deciding on limitations on search and seizure, on private domain. If you're reading this blog, I'm guessing you're going to err on the side of privacy as well.

6. Rape: Why the hell is this an issue? I rub my eyes and make a Scooby Doo "huh?" noise every time this comes up. And it may sound insane every time it gets discussed, as the concepts of "forced rape" or "legitimate rape" will never appear in federal legislation (except in the places they already do...) - but it will get tossed around a lot, and it will promote the idea that there are women who are just asking for it. And this stabs me through the heart. Look, I talk a lot about force, and how hot it can be. But I absolutely, 100%, cross my heart know that rape is not a subject to be glib about, and that rape, not consensual play rape (maybe that's the illegitimate form? I don't know), is a serious fucking thing which can cause serious physical and emotional trauma to you, your family, your friends, your partners, your future partners, your children, and your life. I refuse to have politicians (I'm looking at you Paul Ryan) who fundamentally misunderstand what violence looks like, and who are willing to delineate victimization between the deserving and the undeserving.

So that's the short list. There's also diplomacy with Iran, getting out of Afghanistan, an incredible love of Hillary Clinton, the fact that Obama was a community organizer (go team!), the eye-rolling at Romney's "tough on China" crap, the bill on credit card clarity, the first education bill, the push to integrate NGO work with law enforcement, Medicare, and how much more I like the Obamas than the Romneys. But whatever your reason, just go vote. I know you probably skip out on jury duty, so after paying taxes this is really all you're asked to do.

For everyone in the New York area! At my last check, 60 polling places had either closed or combined with other locations, so double check where you're going. Find out where to vote here.

No comments:

Post a Comment